Thursday 2 October 2014

Sibale, The Beautiful

I needed to get away. I longed for peace and quiet.   I needed to be where I could calm my heart and listen to my soul. Trapped in the routines of corporate madness and feeling lost in chaotic city life, I wanted to escape it all. I wanted to be in a place where the voices in my mind would shut up and enjoy the songs of the sea and listen to the music of nature. 

Charut! I’m trying hard here to sound poetic, romantic and spiritual, but I’m dying already.

Isla ng Sibale is the place!


So, let's get down to business, how do you go to this beautiful island?

Sibale is one of the 7,000 islands in the Philippine Archipelago. Sibale or Concepcion is located in Maestro de Campo Island, a municipality in the province of Romblon.

From the port of Batagas, we took the SuperCat ferry crossing the channel to Calapan, Mindoro. The first time I took the ferry boat to Mindoro a few years back, I had a treat of an amazing show of dolphins swimming after our roro. I was crossing my fingers I would be able to witness the same thing, but no such luck. A fellow passenger from Mindoro told me that there are no more sightings of dolphins for several years now. Sigh.


We chose the upper deck of SuperCat, it's cheaper and we get to enjoy fresh air and the view of Batangas/Mindoro waters

From Calapan, we took a van for  a 2-hour trip to Pinamalayan. We needed to catch the boat to Sibale at 11:30, otherwise we will wait for the next day. There is only one pump boat that goes and leaves the island in a day. From Pinamalayan, another 2 to 3 hours of butt-aching but enjoyable boat ride to Sibale. 

You may opt to be carried by porters from and to the boat if you don't want to get wet for a very reasonable fee. I opted to get wet
I was reminded how important ropes are in seafaring. This tripulante knows what he is doing. Aboard a small boat crossing the deep waters of Mindoro and Romblon, without a life vest I felt safe


Passing through the 'Romblon Triangle' which was described as a 'watery grave that claimed thousands of lives and numerous ships in the past 60 years'


It would be a long trip, but it’s all worth it. One of the most, if not the most beautiful island I’d ever been to. Res ipsa loquitor. The thing speaks for itself. I will just show you the photos.

After almost a day of travelling, we're almost there

We were told then, that at the bottom of the cove lies 2 Japanese ships


Stories were told about 'ghost ship' that 'glistens like gold' and santilmos. I'm that kind of person who gets easily scared with ghost stories but in Sibale, I was never scared. We even walked the island at night with only the moon and the stars guiding us

no words..



Isolated, magical, almost enchanted, remote, quiet, peaceful, breathtaking. My words will never  give justice to the beauty of Sibale. It would be wiser  to just share photos and this beautiful, award-winning poem about Sibale, Romblon. 



SIBALE THE BEAUTIFUL

By Vicente F. David



o my foster homeland, this poem is heartily dedicated. 

"Her people is my people"



Sibale the beautiful, isle of the eastern sea,
Thou stand majestically above the sparkling waters
Washed for centuries by the rising and ebbing tides
Yonder stand solitary rocks
Curved with tell-tale signs by the passing of time.

On thy white beaches blow the gentle breea,
Bringing sweet scent of freshness from the ocean blue
Caressed by the gentle waves softly whispering sweet lullabies
To thy infant sons and daughters born free
Destined to fade or curve a name for thy fame and glory.

O Sibale! cradle of love and beauty,
Home sweet home of gentle and godly people
Where sunbeams kiss the silvery morning dew
Spread standing aloft over the sparkling sea.

Wither tho I go my beloved motherland,
I will bear witness to thy immortal grace
As sons and daughters beholden with fond memories
Of your familiar sweet loving embrace
From now till time rings out for a call to the great beyond
I will forever sing Sibale the Beautiful



the island's 'entrance'


No heart cannot be calmed by this sight


The PEOPLE


The locals are called Sibalenhon. They will greet you from the port with sweet smiles welcoming you to their island. The island is warm and so are its people.

One thing I must say about the locals, aside of course from the fact that they are most polite and hospitable, is that they value education. Sibale is not a poor island, not one of those beautiful but depressed, living on a hand-to-mouth existence islands I’d been to.  The reason could be on how much they value education. Though, the locals are saying they are experiencing  brain drain because of migration and declining population. The youth tend to leave Sibale for the main lands. 

Our host, Kuya Wally is a UP graduate, teaching secondary in Sibale. He came from family of professionals as most of the families there. Every household would boast of framed diplomas and medals in their living rooms. 



Kuya Wally, our host, striking a pose



The main livelihood is fishing and farming. They do love and protect the environment. Sibalenhun truly care for their island. 

I know it's wrong to swear, but I do swear I could live in this place. I could read, write, eat, swim, run, hike, cook, fish here forever.. well, dream on!



We were having buko while on island hopping, when Manong, our bangkero  told us not to throw the buko when we're through, my thought was that’s biodegradable anyway. I, a dedicated, self-proclaimed environmentalist would not have a heart to litter a candy wrapper in such a beautiful island, but that buko, which is biodegradable, I can right? But for Manong, biodegradable or not, the island must be kept clean! I was impressed and humbled to be before a man who truly loves nature and act on it!


He offered to get some fresh buko for us, I asked him if that's okay, we did not ask permission from the owner who was nowhere in sight. Actually, no one was in sight. He simply told me, he owns that part of the island. Our Manong Bangkero owns a piece of  that paradise, naman!


Look at this! I don't know it's name, the fisherman told me he got it from the really deep part of the ocean. He stepped on it and injured himself, so he took home the predator


The island is a sanctuary for birds. A perfect place for bird watching. I remembered joining a group of bird lovers, they would spot birds from trees and they would tell me their names, their evolution, their behavior, anatomy and physiology, etc. It was amazing.  Sibale, dear friends, is a haven of aves


The lighthouse serves as a guide to those seeking refuge in the cove


When I took this photo, I was so impressed and gushing  about how beautiful that rest house atop and overlooking the cove's entrance, without me knowing that the owner is Kuya Wally beside me









This is that rest house! It's complete with a bathroom, a living room, kitchen and a balcony, nice.. really nice!


I-just-bought-the-island-look! Yeebaaah! Dreaming.. again. you know, swimming, snorkeling here forever..

The family that explores together, stays together. Meet Ate Ivz, Kuya Jas and Sheph!










Meet the bravest boy I know! At 3 he crossed the Romblon Triangle without batting an eye, I'm a proud Ninang, good job Sheph!


Mhe the Explorer loving every moment in Sibale.




Electricity is not available for 24 hours in the island. Most of the households are equipped with solar panel though. Water is safe to drink, it just has a salty after taste, but will cause you no harm. Enjoy the drink, you're in a beautiful island after all. 


I wish I own that muro-ami, wooden goggles. Very cool and it works perfectly
The kids are in the middle of bowfishing 




Sibale is a perfect destination, if you are not a fan of mass tourism that is. 

There is only one resort. We visited it and it's a nice place. You have an alternative though, if you plan on packing your bag and visiting the island, you may go straight to the Municipal Mayor's Office or residence and the Mayor will house you in one of the locals. Each house, has a rest house in their yards. The rest house just like in the pictures above could be smaller or bigger but complete with the amenities. And you get to bond with true Sibalenhun. You may also opt to bring your own tent and camp at the beach. It's safe, friendly and clean. It's just perfect for a short or even long getaway.








Thank you Sibale for having us. I pray for you and your people.

















I pray that your people will always be safe and protected. I pray that they will not feel alone and abandoned in your island.




I pray that the 'curse' of the 'ghost ship' will be lifted. I pray that the Sibalenhun will continue to take care of you so generations to come will enjoy and understand what beauty of nature is all about. 



Maraming salamat Sibale,  may your beauty never falter. Sibale, The Beautiful indeed. 

4 comments:

  1. Let's go! I'll be your tour guide, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is so nice. One day, I'll be here wih my clients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place is so nice. I've long known that Romblon is such a beautiful Island, so will this nearby Island also be. I will be here with my clients one day. Thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete